Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Homemade Broccoli, Bacon and Cheese Soup with a BLT Wrap

It's cold and rainy and nothing sounded good the other night except for Broccoli Cheese Soup and I decided to add some Bacon!

I just used my standard go to combination for a sauce base.
1 stick of butter
16 ounces of Heavy Whipping Cream
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used Cheddar here)

For an Alfredo I use an Italian Blend of whatever I have on hand.
Just melt the butter, melt the cheese, add the cream and stir while bringing it to a boil. Keep stirring and let it simmer until it thickens.
Once the sauce is done cooking then I added the steamed broccoli and crumbled the bacon.

You could also pair this with a BLT made on a low carb tortilla or a lettuce wrap or a BLT salad. 
I decided that it was too much food for me for one meal so I just went with the soup and then ate the wrap later.

 I don't eat soy because of my PCOS so I will only use one brand of low carb Tortilla. All of the other ones that I have found are made with soy flour. I use the Mission Carb Balance tortillas, they do have a small amount of soybean oil but that doesn't bother me like the soy flour, soy lecithin or soy protein does.

Soy basically mimics estrogen and was causing problems for me so I stopped eating it altogether last summer. Most ladies with PCOS already have high estrogen levels and should not eat soy and should try to eat more broccoli because broccoli naturally helps to rid your body of excess estrogen.

6 comments:

  1. Hi CJ how have you been? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

    Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey CJ, so awesome to see a new post up!!! Wooohoooo! The broccoli soup looks very yummy. Can't wait till it's in 80s again - I will make it! Only 2-1/2months to go! I can stand it, I can stand it (shhh, I'm convincing myself that summer in hell - I mean Houston is bearable!)

    Hope you are well and just too fabulous and busy for words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cj your blog is totally awesome and inspiring! I love your recipes and think its great of you to share them online. Just thought I'd pass along to you a little discovery I made the other day... There's a whole line of products I discovered called walden farms they make calorie free sauces and spreads... I have to admit they have a sweet kind of funny aftertaste when you try them by themselves but added to any dish they are great! I'm not a rep for them or anything, just a normal person trying to keep off some weight! I highly recommend the ranch mayo I put it on sandwiches all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you couldn't join your mother for our documentary shoot in Milwaukee this week. Your mother is a terrific lady and speaks so highly of you. Now that I check out your blog - I understand why. Amazing. I would like to speak with you about your journey. Maybe even pay you a visit (albeit with more advance warning). I look forward to meeting you.
    Randy Argue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CJ, my name is Andrea. i live in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. I just want to say, you are amazing! What tenacity and perseverance, I hope to follow in your footsteps.
    I have diabetes, Celiac, hiatus hernia, asthma, and am trying to lose weight.
    I just came across your blog on Pinterest, and am reading with much interest. Please can you tell me, your receipe for broccoli cheese soup, how many servings does it make ? Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete