Thursday, October 7, 2010

Boston Walk for Pancreatic Cancer Research

 I participated in the 5th Annual Boston Walk for Pancreatic Cancer Research on last Sunday, October 3 at Castle Island. I lost my Grandma to pancreatic cancer in 1992. I was very close to my Grandmother and watched her fight pancreatic cancer for a year and a half. Not only was she my Grandma but she was my second Mom, my babysitter, shopping buddy, walking buddy and always there to tell me a story and make me smile. I miss her so much!

In memory of my Grandma Nellie.
 Pancreatic cancer is the nation’s fourth leading cause of cancer deaths and the low survival rate for pancreatic cancer has not improved in the last 25 years..... Only 2% of all federal cancer research funds goes to pancreatic cancer. The Lustgarten Foundation is the nation's largest private supporter of pancreatic cancer research. They have a commitment from Cablevision to underwrite the foundations administrative expenses, so 100% of the donations will go directly to pancreatic cancer research. I lost my Grandma, but with more research someone else might not have to lose theirs.
 I put this shirt in my bag and it got a bit wrinkled.
I was making bandannas for my dogs and my iron on hem tape wasn't working, so I ended up sewing at 1am the night before the walk.
 Dogs were allowed at this walk and while it would have been easier to leave them at home, I decided to take them with me. My Grandma loved dogs and always went walking with her dogs and since I was doing this for her, it just seemed right to take them along. I had to stop and get gas and my youngest beagle was in my lap. There was a time when he would just sit or lay on my belly because my belly was touching the steering wheel. But now there is enough room for him and he can stand, sit or lay on my lap.
 The iron on transfer that I used wasn't that great, but it worked for the day.
 My boys.

 The water.
 My boys were pretty well behaved.
They got lots of, "Oh how cute!!!", "Beagles!!!" and one lady had lost her 15 yr old beagle to old age a few weeks ago and she enjoyed petting the boys.
 Some rocks on the edge of the island.
 There were a lot of dogs there.
 The boys met a beagle puppy.
 Along the way I saw a lady sitting on a bench and she was calling the boys over to her. I stopped and let her pet them and started talking to her. Come to find out she lost her husband to another kind of cancer and 3 days after she buried him, her son walked in the door and told her that he had pancreatic cancer..... he lived for about 3.5 years and was really aggressive on his treatment. He is survived by a wife and a 10 yr old daughter. This family came all the way from Long Island to participate in the walk. Her story was touching and I enjoyed visiting with her and the dogs enjoyed getting petted and giving her kisses.
 The end.
My oldest beagle was very glad to be back in the car. He has back problems and odd lumps that form and burst and are connected under the body wall to each other. He has had surgeries and been seen by all of the specialist at the University and none of them can figure out what is wrong with him. His surgeries and vet bills ended up costing more then what I need for my surgery..... he is stable for now, he just has to take it easy and if he over does it then he will be sore for a few days. He is on a daily pain med, but his pain level usually stays pretty tolerable and only needs one pill a day, but he can have up to three if he isn't doing well. So he just gets spoiled a bit more now and gets away with more when he isn't feeling well. He had a lot of fun, but this walk was the furthest he has ever gone with me at once and he was glad to have a comfy place to rest on the way home. 
 My youngest beagle was also tired but not too tired to bark at people walking by. He is very protective of his home, the car and me. But in public he did very well and didn't bark at the people. But he did sneak up on some seagulls and scared them away and he was very proud of himself!
 At home and ready for a nap.
We ended up walking 7.78k (4.83 miles) with all of the walking from the car to the registration tents and walking around the area and to the starting point, then the walk it's self and then back to the car. That is the furthest the boys have ever walked at once before.

No comments:

Post a Comment