Friday, September 24, 2010

Excited for the Susan G. Komen 5k Race for the Cure tomorrow!!!

I can't wait for tomorrow!!!!!

 When I went to pick up my team's shirts and race bibs this guy was helping me and I was looking at my shirt to make sure it was going to fit me. I had picked the size in May so I wasn't sure what I had put down. He made a comment about me not knowing what size I was or something so I just told him that I had lost some weight so I was just making sure the shirt was going to fit. Then he asked how much and I told him and he thought I said 27 lbs and I said no 247 lbs. He said 247???? Wow!! and was asking me how I did it.

He was saying no way, really? I said yes, really and I showed him my before picture in my phone. He said let me see that phone and took my phone and went and showed the other volunteers there helping and was like , "Hey everybody this young lady has lost 247 lbs so that she could participate in this race!" I am pretty sure I turned all kinds of red at that point. LOL Then on the way out he told all of the volunteers outside as I was walking away. It is nice to hear the compliments but it can get a bit embarrassing at times. But it is better then being called a big fat cow and having little kids point and stare and saying "Mommy, look at that big fat lady!"

 I decided to participate in this 5k because my friend Kristy a survivor and mother of two young boys was healthy enough to participate in the 5k in her state and I thought to myself that I should do it too. They don't have 5k's for people who have lost a lot of weight or have PCOS (although since then there is one in Texas being organized) so this is a good cause and I have lost family members to cancer so why not sign up!

I was only able to walk 1 mile when I decided to do this and I was a bit worried for awhile but luckily I can push myself to 9k on the treadmill now. Walking on the treadmill is different the just normal walking but I should be able to do the 5k just fine.

Also someone very special to my Father, a sweet lady named Diane is a 20 year survivor who just had to have more surgery last week, because she got more cancer. Her's was a very bad kind, the kind that usually goes undetected until it is too late. Her's was way deep behind her muscle and she got very lucky that the tech saw it during the mamagram and caught it in it' early stages. Not only did she get lucky once, but twice..... She was lucky enough to have a very good doctor in CA, not everyone has that and the more research that can be done to save the boobies, the better!

The statistics are 1 out of every 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer. One of those women could be your mother, grandmother, sister, best friend, wife, girlfriend, cousin or even... you(but I hope not). Check your boobies once a month ladies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment